Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Monday, 30th April 2007

In Mbeya

Spent most of the day, going in and out of the vodocom shop, to check on the phone progress. By the end of the day, the phone still wasn't working, but the problem had been escalated to a higher level.

Some point in the day, however, I decided, "O.k., maybe I've made my point about the phone. I could be here for the next month and it still won't work!" So, I went off to buy a bus ticket to Dodoma. From Dodoma, I will take train to Togora, and from there, ride my bike to Mwanza (5 or 6 days). From Mwanza, take a boat half-way across Lake Victoria, and then ride the bike the last 4-5 days to get home. At least, that's the plan. Wanted to leave tomorrow, but there is no direct bus to Dodoma tomorrow. So, I bought a ticket for early Wednesday morning. Working phone or not, time to say good-bye to Mbeya.

... And the answer is! .... WIFE!

Met up with The Man, whom I have now learned that his name is Joseph, and he took me to his home. We stayed at the home for a while and he and the wife, named Marieta, showed me their photo albums - specifically, the big photo album of their wedding, which took place 10 or 12 years ago. Here is a photo of me, Joseph, and Marieta, on their sofa. If I ever see George again, which I haven't seen him for 2 days because he's gone off to some other town and is apparently coming back tomorrow, I'll have to let him know that we were wrong.

No comments: