Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Thursday, 10th May 2007

To: Kyotera, Uganda

After riding about 28 kilometers or so, got to the trading center of Ssanje. While stopping and looking for a chipati for breakfast, I came across Sarah and Aaron, two peace corps volunteers. Sarah happens to live in Ssanje, and works at an orphanage. Aaron was visiting. They were super friendly and invited me over to Sarah's place for breakfast!

After the leisurely 2-hour breakfast stop, I continued, on back roads, from Ssanje to Rakai. Rakai I knew would be a bit out of my way, but I wanted to pass through anyway, just to see it. So, got off the main road and onto a dirt road. Very nice for a while, but then ... a minor detail got in my way ... a mountain! I'm meaning to call Sarah and ask if she knew about this mountain between Ssanje and Rakai and failed to mention it. Made me miss Jack from TDA. I'm sure he would have remembered to mention it, in the rider meeting. Although, come to think of it, I'm not real sure what I would have done with the info, other than dread it and think about it. This way, I just got to be surprised!

So, this mountain was very steep in parts and I even had to get off the bike and push. (It reminds me - I need to write to the Uganda Mountain Authorities and talk to them about switch-back roads.) At one point, however, while pushing my bike up a very, very, very steep section, 4 kids started following me from a distance. They were giggling. They were actually slightly annoying, but I had to tell myself, "Cool it, Leigh Anne. Those kids aren't doing anything wrong. They are just curious." And then, all of a sudden, I had an idea. (Ding! Brilliant idea alert!) I thought, if they are having so much fun, just watching me push the bike, just THINK how much MORE fun they could have, if they got a chance to push it themselves! So, I motioned to the biggest boy (who looked to be about 9 or 10 years old) and held out my bike for him and asked if he'd like to have a go at pushing.

The boy said, "Oh, yes!" and took my bike and started pushing. His 3 friends, however, were not about to let him have all the fun. So, they also grabbed parts of the bike and helped push. I walked up behind them. Here are a couple of photos of these 4 kids, having a great time, pushing my bike up a very long and steep hill. O.k., felt a bit like Tom Sawyer, but no harm done, and everybody was happy.

Finally, after going down this mountain, and then over another one, I came across a beautiful sight! Is that Rakai I see? Most importantly, are those electricity lines I see? Am I going to get a cold soda??? YES! Other than the cold soda, however, Rakai did not have much to offer. I hung around for about an hour, chatting with the girl who seemed in charge of this place I was sitting at. Then, headed off for Kyotera, where I spent the night.

I love Kyotera!! Pool tables galore! Played for several hours tonight and had fun.

---------------- TODAY ------------ TOTAL
Cycled --------- 75 km (47 mi) ---- 5,278 km (3,305 mi)
Lift ------------- 0 --------------- 2,660 km (1,768 mi)
Total ---------- 75 km (47 mi) ----- 7,938 km (5,073 mi)
In Saddle ------ 5 hours 41 min ---- 357 hours 19 min
Ascended ------- 1,813 feet -------- 93,905 feet

No comments: