Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wednesday, 9th May 2007

To: Mutukula (Uganda!)

Woke up this morning to an absolutely beautiful sunrise on the boat. Arrived in Bukoba at 7:30 and saw a beautiful coastline. (See photos in yesterday's post.) The cliffs reminded me of a place I've been to in France and I can't remember the name of the place but I think it started with an E, and Monet did some paintings there. Or it may have started with an F, anyway it started with a letter that has lots of straight lines and right angles. There's even a little chapel here on the cliffs of Bukoba. That place in France that starts with an E or an F, it also had a little chapel.

By the time I got through the port and had my bike put together, it was 8:30 and I thought, "Aahhhh, I'm on my way." I rode 8/10 of a kilometer and stopped. How could I have passed this spot? You take a look at this picture. A neat little hotel, right on the beach. Am now sitting at a table on that beach, enjoying the view and the fresh morning.

O.k., o.k., I promise myself that the next time I see the most beautiful and pristine place, I'll ride right past, without looking back. Besides, I have to make it to Kakindu today (unless I don't).

Evening: Woo hoooo! Made it all the way to Mutukulu, on the Uganda side of the Tanzania/Uganda border! After the slow beginning, I was wishing I was riding with Rachel (from TDA) today. She'd have been proud of how far I went without stopping. After that first stop (8/10 of a km from the ferry landing), I didn't stop again until 47 more km had been racked up. Rachel would've been happy as we pointed to place after place and kept saying, "Naahhh, keep going." Just to show, here are two of the great looking spots, that I just passed right up!

It feels good to be in Uganda. Very good. Had supper at a little local restaurant place. Sat at a table and chatted with a few people who live in Mutukulu and work at the border crossing. I ate matooke for the first time in 4 months! It was great.

--------------- TODAY ------------- TOTAL
Cycled -------- 88 km (55 mi) ----- 5,203 km (3,258 mi)
Lift ------------ 0 ----------------- 2,660 km (1,768 mi)
Total --------- 88 km (55 mi) ----- 7,863 km (5,026 mi)
In Saddle ----- 5 hours 42 min ---- 351 hours 38 min
Ascended ------ 1,138 feet -------- 92,082 feet

No comments: